If you live in an area that has experienced heavy flooding over the years, then you know how dangerous it can be to your home and its contents. Even if your area has not experienced flooding recently, it’s still important that you take precautions to ensure your home won’t suffer major damage in the event of heavy rainfall or a burst pipe.
The question is: what is the best way to protect your home and property from flooding? This flood control company in Skokie, Illinois is going to discuss everything you should know below.
Measure your level of risk.
One way to help prevent home flooding is by knowing your level of risk. FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood maps are the best tool to measure your risk of flooding. The maps are available online, and you can use them to see how your region stacks up in terms of exposure. Knowing your risk level can help you determine what steps you need to take to keep you and your home safe. However, every property is unique, which is why it’s best to have your property inspected by a reputable flood control company in Skokie, Illinois.
Insure your property.
You cannot control the weather, but you can take steps to protect your home from flooding. One of the best ways to do this is to insure your property. Most standard homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover flood damage, so you will need to purchase a separate policy. You can get flood insurance through the NFIP or from some private insurers.
Prepare your home to resist flooding.
As any flood control company in Skokie, Illinois will tell you, the best way to protect your home from flooding is to take proactive steps to prevent water from entering in the first place. Here are some tips:
- Maintain proper water runoffs and drainage around your home.
- Install a rain barrel. It collects and stores rainwater from your roof for later use. Not only does a rain barrel help reduce flooding, but it also helps conserve water and save money on your water bill.
- Install check valves in sewer traps to prevent sewage backup.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts at least twice a year to ensure they are clear of debris.
- Have a sump pump installed in your basement or crawl space, as well as backflow valves on all drains and toilets.
- If you already have a sump pump installed, check it regularly to ensure it is in good working order, and consider installing a backup sump pump in case of power outages.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is located, and make sure everyone in your household knows how to turn it off in an emergency.
- Check for any cracks in your foundation and caulk them.
- Elevate utilities and service equipment, such as your water heater, washer, and dryer, at least 12 inches off the ground.
- Keep important documents and valuables in a watertight container.
Taking these precautions can help reduce the risk or severity of flooding in your home.
Install a flood control system.
Installing a flood control system is one of the best ways to prevent your home from flooding. As you would expect, these systems are designed to keep water out of your home in the event of a flood. If you would like to learn more about these systems, or if you are ready to have one installed, do not hesitate to contact a professional flood control company in Skokie, Illinois.
Looking for a Professional Flood Control Company in Skokie, Illinois?
Do you need help preventing flooding at your property? If so, and if you’re looking for the top-rated flood control company in Skokie, Illinois, look no further than the experts at R Carrozza Plumbing Co. Contact us today at us at (847) 451-7040 to learn more about your options.